Thursday, November 03, 2005

NO offence to internal medicine residents.....

But some of you can be complete ASSES. I don't care if it's a shitty consult. If I consult you, you take the consult. In fact, most of the time it's not even my decision to consult you, it's my staff's. So....don't give me attitude about it. I had to take shitty consults when I was on medicine too.

So, I was doing an overnight shift, 11pm - 7 am, and the internal residents do ER triage shifts as well, where all they do is take consults from emerg. Well....I had finished my shift at 7 am and all I needed to do was to consult medicine for this one patient. At 7:45, I called upon this ass internal resident who looked me in the eye and told me, in not so polite words, that he was too busy to take my consult. What am I? A medical student??? I'm like....but....what??? Did you just reject my consult to my face? Well, I called switchboard only to find out that the next resident doesn't start taking pages until 9 am....WTF!!! I'm not going to wait around 2 hours to consult freakin' medicine.

So, I wait 15 minutes, and then I approach him again. I said, look, all you have to do is to take the name, chief complaint, and the PIN number and just hand it over to your next resident. No? What am I....your bitch?? THEN, his medical student looks at me and says, do you think you could get our patient a warm blanket? What am I??? A nurse???

I said, "No, I don't think I can get one. Why don't you ask someone else."

So anyways, I ended up paging the next resident half an hour before his shift to hand over the consult.

The next night, I had another consult to do, but this time I consulted the same guy at 7:15 am. He said, "Look, we are handing over in 15 minutes, so could you just call back then?" Oh man I was ready to EXPLODE. I said, "Ok, I'm going to wait 15 minutes, and if it's you again I'm giving YOU the consult"......bastard.

So....I actually waited half an hour, and I saw the ass and the next resident on shift walking down the hall. He was telling the new resident that I had a consult and that I was supposed to call back in 15 minutes but that I never did.

BASTARD.

So after all that I consulted the new medicine resident, who was a lot more polite.....and he sent the patient home.

The best part of my month in emerg was....seeing the ass get an earful from one of the female emerg docs about how this was unacceptable behaviour. And the ass was trying to argue with her as well. Asshat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home