Saturday, July 02, 2005

Introduction


Now, don't say, "Oh, family medicine - that's an easy program" cause really...all residency programs are hard. Where I think I DID make the smart choice was being in a program that is SHORT, so that I can finally get on with my life. I think I made a good choice...I'll have a good career. Besides, I'm not getting any younger!

I was pretty anxious to begin residency on July 1st, as most people were, but I had the lovely added stress of being on call on my first night in a specialty that I absolutely dread - internal medicine. It's not really the theory of internal medicine that I hate, it's more the practical side of it that really gets to me: the endless family meetings, the inefficiency of ordering lab tests and the relative non-appreciation of the patients who feel as though they are being hospitalized against their will. And I really can't get too excited about discussing the evidence behind whether patients prefer green pills vs blue pills (actually, I WISH they would talk about stuff like that rather than stuff I have no clue about).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home